Monday, March 24, 2008

An Easter lunch with Katherine's parents...

Two days ago I promoted "no food" posts. Yesterday I retracted that with an Indonesian food post. Today I'm back to my old food-post tricks. Inescapable.

Yesterday we took a trip to Katherine's parents' place (still very much in Hong Kong, but about 45 minutes by bus from where we live - Hong Kong is big) for an Easter lunch (feast!) that Katherine's mother had prepared...


A fresh fish steamed whole with ginger,
cilantro, and shallots (extremely tender!).


Young Chinese broccoli with Chinese pork sausage.


Squid with a cabbage-like vegetable that
Katherine's mother pickled herself.


Eggs stewed in a "special sauce".
Rather like Chinese Easter eggs! ;>


Watercress soup.

She also prepared "bajek", an Indonesian salad very similar to "gado-gado" (which we ate at the Indonesian restaurant a few days ago). I'll give you a component-by-component walkthough of its construction...


Peanut sauce. This is the key!


Fried chunks of tofu.


Cabbage and string beans.


The above components are combined with bean sprouts.


And then fried chips are placed on top.
Gado-gado would use shrimp chips, this salad used
fruit chips (of which I know no English translation).

Dig in!

2 comments:

Carson said...

Yummmmmm. Tell Katherine's mother that I MISS her cooking! :)

Unknown said...

My love to the family!

 

Creative Commons License
GK+HK is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Hong Kong License.