Thursday, September 3, 2009

Numbers turn on the old odometer...

My birthday fell on the calendar this past Monday, and I wanted to celebrate by spending an evening out with Katherine. I didn't have a dinner spot in mind - I thought we'd just let the wind take us - so we hitched a ride on a minibus, hopped out close to the middle of Hong Kong Island), and started walking north. As it happened, we soon passed by a favorite restaurant of mine that we hadn't sampled in over a year, and I couldn't resist. Welcome back to Duke's Burger...

The advantage of eating at 6PM or earlier!

Katherine's "Temple Street"
(exactly like a "Shirley Temple", but with fresh watermelon juice added
)

My fresh strawberry juice

Outstanding onion rings (so crispy!)

Fried brie (served with a tangy-sweet raspberry sauce)

My oxtail and chorizo burger

Katherine's veggie burger

After the meal, we spent some time window-shopping and then returned home. Upon arrival, a group of our students surprised me with a very nice "Happy Birthday to You" serenade. A quality birthday evening. :>

2 comments:

Carson said...

hee, my first thought was that the "advantage of eating at 6PM or earlier" was, apparently, a fully-stocked bar with no waiting. However, I see that you plumped instead for the extremely-delicious-sounding Temple Street! WV thinks it looks "freliqui"!

Unknown said...

I am thrilled you celebrated your birthday in such a special way... how special of the students to serenade you...that was the best part!

 

Creative Commons License
GK+HK is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Hong Kong License.