Friday, August 21, 2009

Dragon fruit!

Before today, the one and only time I tried dragon fruit was in June of 2003 during a day trip to Windsor, Ontario. It's appearance attracted me immediately...


...but my interest ended after one bite. Not that it was bad, just that it tasted rather like, well, nothing. (I remember thinking, "I know I'm putting something in my mouth - I can feel it - but I sure can't taste anything.") That's probably why I've passed on the chance to buy it so many times in Hong Kong. When it is in season, it is available everywhere here, and it is extremely cheap (about US$0.25 each).

Today, though, it struck me that there MUST be something good about them if they can be sold in such mass quantities, so we bought one and gave it a second chance.

Just stick a spoon in and start scooping!


As you can see, the fruit is full of tiny seeds that are nearly identical in nutty flavor and crunchy texture to those found in kiwi. My memory of the the whitish-gray flesh wasn't that far off - it definitely doesn't have a strong flavor - but this time I found it to be rather refreshing, actually. The texture is somewhere between honeydew and watermelon, and the flavor can be likened to lightly sweetened water. (Some of you know how dreadful I find watermelon to be, so you might think my texture description is a deep insult, but it really isn't - I truly enjoyed eating it. That does NOT mean, however, that I will be enjoying watermelon any time soon. ;>)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is beautiful...truly beautiful

Carson said...

Rats!! I was hoping maybe dragonfruit had finally persuaded you into the wonderful world of watermelon again. Oh well. I too find dragonfruit to be supremely boring, but you're right, at least it's refreshing. And the inside is so pretty! I remember the first time I saw one cut in half (in the title credits of some TV show), I thought it was some cool way of packaging vanilla bean ice cream. :)

 

Creative Commons License
GK+HK is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Hong Kong License.