Friday, May 2, 2008

The first day of our wedding anniversary weekend celebration...

Katherine and I have our first wedding anniversary this Monday, but why limit the celebration to one day? We thought it would be fun to have little celebrations throughout the weekend! Last night we kicked things off by running down to Soho and, for the first time, trying the only Mexican restaurant we are aware of in Hong Kong: El Taco Loco...


Posing beside El Taco Loco.
The Mid-Levels Escalator is to the left and we're just below Staunton Street.

Mango and watermelon juice.


Dinner! A chicken burrito and the "quesadilla supreme".


Mighty fine vittles.

After dinner, we made our way down the Mid-Levels Escalator to the IFC Mall for a little window shopping. Little did we know what we would find in one of those windows...


This might seem like a casual shot of Katherine standing in an IFC Mall corridor, but it is in fact the first stage of what is known as the "Secret Nun Photography Technique". (What you do when you want to secretly take pictures of nuns. Admit it, you know what I'm talking about.) There aren't any nuns in the picture, so you can stop hunting, but turn your gaze to the far right edge...


At first, you may wonder why we wanted to take a picture of these people. Are they celebrities? Are they fugitives? Are they drinking coffee? It's hard to say, but one thing is for sure - the girl is wearing a zip-up sweatshirt which reads "MURDER" along the back. To some, this may be offensive. To me, given that Carson and I wrote a screenplay entitled "Sprechen Sie MURDER?", it was hilarious. When we saw it, the girl was just walking through the mall, so we tailed her to this coffee shop and got the shots we needed.

After our exercise in stalking, it was time for...a movie! The IFC Mall has one of the better theaters in Hong Kong, Palace IFC, and here you can see me in a hand-stitched panoramic view of its entrance...

The movie? Iron Man!


It was absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend it enough. Robert Downey Jr was outstanding in the titular role and helped create what could be the most entertaining film of the summer (though there are an unprecedented number of great-looking films on the way, so the competition for that accolade is stiff). Get out there and see it now! And make sure you stay through the credits - especially if you're a Marvel comic fan. There's an uncredited film star (who you are sure to recognize) in an extra scene which sets up a a forthcoming franchise of related films. I will say no more.

All-in-all, a great evening to start our anniversary celebrations!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You TWO have been on my mind...I have been celebrating your first anniversary, too!!! (even though it seems impossible to think that you have been married for an entire YEAR)

Happy Anniversary
I love you both

Carson said...

Oh! Oh my! So many comments!!!

1) How cool that you found a Mexican restaurant! The food actually looks really good - was it pretty authentic? Or, at least, more authentic than we have in Garner? :)

2) The woman standing to your right in the outdoor photograph is clearly thinking, "Look at those two, with their love and their man-purses and their... ANNIVERSARIES." Oh wait, except he is a man...

3) Secret Nun Photography Technique!!! How I have missed it! I should dig that picture up again, I'm sure I have it somewhere close to hand. :) I am quite delighted that Katherine has now been able to take part in this time-honored tradition.

4) HAHAHAHAHAHA!
I think I may have disturbed the entire office when I clicked on the picture of that girl's sweatshirt. That is HILARIOUS and I totally would have stalked them looking for a photo opportunity too.

5) In the first Secret Nun Photograph, the non-MURDER man appears to have noticed you! I bet he is thinking "Look at them, with their anniversaries, and lack of MURDER."

6) Glad to hear that you enjoyed Iron Man! I might be going to see that myself soon... if so, I shall let you know my thoughts :)

Have a happy, happy anniversary today!!!

Unknown said...

Comments replied! ;>

1) The food at El Taco Loco was indeed very good and I really like the way they construct each dish. Essentially, you choose the dish type (hard/soft taco, burrito, quesadilla, enchilada, etc), then the meat type (chicken, beef, BBQ pork, no meat, etc), and finish it off with whatever else you want in there. It's also quite inexpensive for that area of Hong Kong (which is typically more expensive than other areas). They claim to be "muy autentico", and I'm inclined to believe them. Definitely a place I'll want to revisit.

2) Ha! Yes, I'm afraid that is a man. ;> And I'm sure he was coveting my man-purse. It this my first picture with it? It might be. When we're out and about, I sometimes find the need to have a bag with me to carry the camera, an umbrella, anything we buy, etc. So, I have pretty much stolen Katherine's leather satchel. It is smaller and more maneuverable than a backpack, yet it still has plenty of space for my needs.

3) If you can dig up one of our nun pictures which were taken in this manner, I'll be sure to post it to the blog so that the readers can see exactly how it is supposed to be done. ;>

4) I was very tempted to go ask her about the shirt and see if I could take some "authorized" pictures, but I really didn't want to bother her. She might have been flattered, though.

5) Our lack of MURDER caused me great shame, but at least we had anniversaries to keep us warm. And I'm hoping that non-MURDER man is just looking at the girl and not right at the camera - the angle makes it hard to tell. To tell you the truth, taking that picture made me feel like I was a photographer for one of the HK entertainment industry tabloids (who are notoriously amoral in their methods). It was a touch uncomfortable. ;>

6) Oh yes - I very much hope you see Iron Man. I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish and completely lost track of time. Now I can't wait for a sequel!

Carson said...

1.3) Oh, so El Taco Loco is kind of like a Panchero's / Salsarita's / Qdoba type place?

2.3) Satchels certainly seem to be all the rage among grad-student types here! (Which perhaps explains why Katherine had one!) I've often thought that I should switch to one when my backpack finally dies.

3.3) Ha! Really? Well, I'll definitely have to have a scout around for it, then. I have a feeling that I know exactly where it should be. And I suspect that we may have done some Secret Nun Videotaping too - we should check the DVD!

 

Creative Commons License
GK+HK is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Hong Kong License.