Friday, October 16, 2009

Discovering a new vegetable...

Earlier this month, while Katherine and I were strolling past a vegetable stand in Kennedy Town, I spotted a vegetable that I had never seen before...

Look rather like the head of a bull, no?

And they can be arranged in pretty patterns!

They are called "water caltrops" (or, in Chinese, "菱角") and they have a tough, shiny shell that could easily be mistaken for hard plastic. Normally, they are prepared simply by boiling and peeling...
The result is a bit starchy and potato-like (but more firm than your average boiled potato) with a very mild flavor that reminded me of American chinquapin chestnuts. Quite tasty, actually, but a lot of work for little reward. ;>

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, those little items look like bats! How cool to have the flavor of chinquapins again! I always think of them in the fall. ENJOY =)

Carson said...

mmm, chinquapins! That's a flavor that I miss...

lol, WV thinks that these caltrops have "nowings".

 

Creative Commons License
GK+HK is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Hong Kong License.