Saturday, February 21, 2009

The dim sum drought ends...

Recently I realized that it had been nearly a year since we last had dim sum, a cornerstone of Cantonese cuisine and easily one of my favorite ways of eating. I was appalled and requested that we correct the problem on Saturday, which we happily did. Katherine's father had to be in Central on Saturday morning, so we met up with him and ate together...

Note the acute lack of people in the seats behind us. On any Saturday (or Sunday) at a dim sum restaurant, this is almost unheard of. People wait in line for hours to eat dim sum and you never expect to find a place that actually has empty tables. The secret? Go to a district where very few people live! Central is dominated by commercial buildings and has very few residences, so weekends are very much low-tide for the restaurants. This is something we will definitely remember in the future when we get a hankering for weekend dim sum.

On to the obligatory food portraits!

Steamed BBQ pork buns

Steamed rice roll filled with fresh shrimp

Absolutely huge shrimp dumplings (perhaps the best I've ever had)

Chiu Chow "fan gwo" dumplings

Minced veggies wrapped in tofu skin

My old favorite, Shanghainese "little steamer buns"

It was really quite fantastic - perhaps the best dim sum I've had in Hong Kong and without the normally noisy environment. You can bet that I've burned the location of this place in my brain. :> To help you do the same, here's a view looking out the front door of the building where the restaurant is located (at the intersection of Wyndham Street and Queen's Road Central).

It's nice to feel dim-sum-satisfied again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my, let's put that high on our list of places to go...I loved dim sum with Sister and Carson (my first and only experience)...and please tell Katherine's father that his jacket is the coolest =)

ZRC Erik said...

Oh man I love me some Dim Sum... Now you've gone and made me hungry

 

Creative Commons License
GK+HK is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Hong Kong License.